The Altoona Public Library is seeking a Library Page with an eye for details and a desire to assist community members in learning more about all the incredible things that the library has to offer! The position reports to library clerks, managers, and library director. In general, the page would work 11-13 hours/week, but may be asked to work alternate hours to help accommodate varying needs of the library.
Essential Job Functions:
- Sorts, organizes, and shelves library materials including books, magazines/newspapers, DVDs, and other materials in proper order.
- Does shelf reading to ensure materials are in proper order and rearranges/shifts materials as needed.
- Retrieves items that patrons have reserved, as well as items that will be shipped daily by courier service.
- Assists library patrons with finding the materials they are seeking.
- Assists with keeping the library neat and orderly.
- Project a positive and pleasant attitude to the public and cooperate and maintain an effective relationship with other staff members as part of a team.
- Performs any other tasks as requested.
- The position requires exceptional attention to detail, particularly when shelving books in alphabetical order and shelving items identified by Dewey Decimal Number.
- Ability to quickly and accurately sort by alphabetical, numerical, chronological, or Dewey Decimal order.
- General knowledge of library services and collections of materials.
- Basic knowledge of office equipment such as a personal computer, copier, etc.
- Must be able to follow written and verbal instructions, as well as work independently.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to stand, walk, and use hands to perform tasks the majority of the workday.
- Ability to manipulate loaded book carts, reach shelves, and manipulate library materials.
- Ability to operate a personal computer, telephone, copier, and other office equipment.
A resume and cover letter are preferred. However, in lieu of the resume and cover letter, a letter of interest and a letter of recommendation from a non-family member are required. A HS diploma or higher is preferred.
Starting wage is $11.50/hour. The position will remain open until filled, however, applicants submitting the required documents by the end of the day on March 14th will be given priority consideration. Submit application materials in person, or they may be emailed to email@example.com. Please send any emailed application materials with “Library Page Application – Attn: Martha” in the subject line.