$$ grant opportunity: applications due June 2
Apply now to receive up to $6,000 to conduct digital literacy training in your community. With support from AT&T, the Public Library Association (PLA) is pleased to offer incentives for public libraries to teach digital literacy workshops for library patrons and community members. Applications are open now through June 2, 2023, for the below incentives:
LA Digital Literacy Workshop Incentive, supported by AT&T Offers incentives of $6,000 to conduct workshops using DigitalLearn training materials designed to help patrons build skills and confidence using technology. Learn more & apply.
ACP Basics Workshop Incentive, supported by AT&T Offers incentives of $1,500 to conduct the new Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) Basics workshop designed to help families and households learn about ACP and how to apply for the benefit. Learn more & apply.
New on the website
New Directors Orientation page
Just added to the IFLS article index is a page for new directors: New Director Orientation. It’s divided into Essential, Important and Desirable categories, with a few added tidbits. While it’s created for new directors it has information that might be useful as a refresher. Take a look! Feedback can go to Katelyn Noack through the HelpDesk or email (email@example.com).
Job posting auto expire
All new job postings will now automatically expire after two months. If you want a specific expiration date please include directions when you submit your HelpDesk ticket to add a job posting.
News from IFLS libraries
- Somerset Public Library was featured in the St. Croix Valley Foundation’s annual report.
- Eleven IFLS libraries are participating int he Check Out Wisconsin State Parks program. Here’s a list of participating libraries.
- Ellsworth Public Library’s $2 million fundraising mark has been reached! This happened as 2023 pledge money rolled in this spring. Getting to this milestone was a true community effort!
- Arin Wilkin, director at Altoona Public Library, talked about the Passport Program on WQOW.
- The ADRC donated two brand new electric tricycles to Frederic and they’re available to check out.
Would you like to share your library news? Send to Reb with “News” in the header with a HelpDesk ticket or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Libby New Feature: Professional Book Reviews
Did you know you can read professional book reviews right in the Libby app? When available, a title’s details screen will link to reviews from sources like Booklist, Kirkus Reviews, Library Journal, and Publishers Weekly. When you tap one of the links, a panel pops up so you can read the review without leaving the page. Spoiler alerts are even included with reviews as applicable.
Library staff may find these trusted professional reviews useful for readers’ advisory and collection development. To find a review:
- Search for a title in the Libby app.
- Tap the desired title/format in your search results.
- The details screen will open. Scroll down to “REVIEWS” (located under the title’s description).
- If reviews are available, tap on the desired review source to access the review.
Just to answer some of your other questions, the reviews are professional only, users cannot write or add their own. And the reviews cannot be shared directly (although titles can be shared).
Questions? Cecelia Cole is your IFLS staff expert in this area. Submit a HelpDesk ticket or email her at email@example.com.
Sharing photography advice from WVLS
Jamie Matczak at WVLS produced a short Digital Byte on “Tips for Taking Better Photos.” https://youtu.be/DuJjw3Xl0nw
Explore MORE Weekly
Weekly updates will show up here. Monthly updates will show up in Marketing Monthly and on the toolkit page.
- I handed out the last of the pre-printed passports. I’d like to redistribute extra passports before I have more printed. Ways to do that:
- Post to the plstaff list and ask if anyone has extras they can send to you
- If you have extras let Reb know or send them back via courier
- Running low on stickers? I have some extras for restocking, just let me know.
- Did you get your 10-stamp prizes? These are to offer to people when they get their ten stamps and entry form. I have extras if you’re running low.
Questions? Concerns? Contact Reb with a HelpDesk ticket or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Coming up on the IFLS Calendar
- MORE Operations Committee Meeting
Thu May 18th 2:00pm – 3:00pm
- MORE Directors Council meeting
Fri May 19th 10:00am – 1:00pm
- IFLS Board of Trustees Meeting
Wed May 24th 12:30pm – 2:30pm
- IFLS office closed
Mon May 29th
- Becoming an Active Ally (WI Libraries Talk About Race)
Thu Jun 15th 10:00am – 3:00pm
Thank you, Jill!
Thank you so much for sharing this at this time. I did not know about the 6th stage and it…
Thanks for this Leah. I read the summary and it gave me some good ideas to follow up on. You…