Library Director Certification
Can’t find what you’re looking for here? Use this search box to search the IFLS Article Index.
Need help answering specific questions or finding additional resources?
Click on the green HelpDesk button and we’ll make sure the right IFLS staff gets that message right away. Can’t find the green button? Use this email: email@example.com.
There’s no wrong door! You can contact these IFLS staff for support on this topic:
Leah Langby, Library Development and Youth Services Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
Links and resources
For Library Directors – Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI): includes instructions and forms for certification–scroll down to the second section
For library directors needing to complete course work for Temporary Certification:
Effective January 1, 2023, the Library Services team at DPI will no longer accept payments for public librarian certification
- Please note that this eliminates the need to mail any documents to DPI via the postal service. The certification process is now strictly virtual.
- Please be sure to email all certification applications and documents, as pdfs or jpgs, to LibraryCertification@dpi.wi.gov for processing.
Best practices for Renewing Regular Certification
- Please send completed Annual Summation Forms and Activity Reports to Leah by email: email@example.com.
- Annual Summation Forms and Activity Reports are available on the DPI site. If possible, do this yearly at the anniversary of your certification date to allow for less stress when your 5 years are up.
- Please complete the forms in Word instead of printing and filling out by hand. If they are emailed from your email account, Leah will let that stand in for a signature.
- Leah will check these over and send back the signed Annual Summation Forms (both via email and as a hard copy via courier).
- Then, when your certification is due, send all the completed, signed Annual Summation Forms (NOT the Activity Reports) and your certification form to LibraryCertification@dpi.wi.gov for processing.